My Mom was so kind to come out and watch our kids for us while we had a nice vacation. We met our good friends Jim and Liana Wilson from Yucaipa in Kauai. We left early Sunday morning, January 27 from DFW and flew to San Francisco and had a 2 hour lay over and then to L.A. and had a 3 hour lay over. Then our flight to Lihue, Kauai was 6 hours long. Needless to say, it was a long day. We were anxious to finally get there.
It was freezing because we were so high up in elevation.
We saw a couple baby mountain goats in Waimea Canyon. It looked like he was stuck on this perch and couldn't get down.
On our way down from Waimea we heard this Island Taco was really good. Very small, hole in the wall place but oh so yummy! In fact I went twice. The first time I had the mahi mahi fish tacos and they were great with chips and salsa and then the kalua pork! To die for!
We drove 5 miles down a bumpy dirt road to get to this beach. The water was freezing.
Jim was crazy to get in the water because the waves were "gnarly"! We were later told a man was drowning at this exact location and his friend went to save him and they both died. Kind of crazy to think about. Jim said the current was so strong it pulled him into the splits on the ocean floor.
This picture doesn't do it justice of the waves we saw.
This is called Spouting horn. It usually blows more water but it wasn't cooperating for us.
As we were leaving Spouting horn this was the sunset! A great end to the first day.
We ended our first night at Keoki's Paradise. It was yet another delicious meal while in Kauai.
This is where we stayed. It was on Pee road and called Poipu! It was a joke between us all.
The beautiful grounds. We had a beach view from our balcony.
The sunrise was beautiful as we were taking a morning stroll.
When we visited last time in Hawaii we went to the Hyatt Hotel because the grounds are so incredible.
We sat in the lounge of the Hyatt and had a beautiful view(the photo below).
The Hyatt had many more accomadations then the Point at Poipu so we took advantage. It was right next to our hotel.
The view from my hammock. I love and miss palm trees.
So relaxing and peaceful!
The Hyatt pool
We then layed on the beach and Taylor started feeling sick. I had had the flu right before we left and he got whatever I had. I felt terrible that he was sick on our vacation. He took it easy in the condo the rest of the day and was feeling better by Wednesday.
Jim and Liana went snorkeling and I slept on the beach.(Tay was still sick in hotel)
I loved how my toes turned out. I did them myself!
Jim and Liana went on a Zodiak tour on Wednesday and Taylor and I took it easy and drove back up Waimea to find spots we didn't get to visit the first day.
Taylor's dad told us about this area. We had to drive past the Hyatt several miles on a dirt road again to get to it.
On Thursday we woke up early in the morning and left by 6:15 a.m. to get to our scheduled ATV tour with Kipu Ranch Adventure. We were to leave at 7.
Bright and early in the morning!
We had to take a test drive around this area before we got started.
We started driving out through these beautiful pine trees.
So many cows! This is where Jurassic Park was filmed. One of the guides told us that this is where the 2 kids come down into Jurassic Park for the first time and see T-Rex.
Looks like an umbrella.
Our 2 guides took us to this spot where Indiana Jones was filmed. Harrison Ford swung from a rope swing in this exact spot on one of the films and then jumped into a Helicopter. I guess Harrison Ford did his own stunts and fell several times running down the hill behind this picture. The 3rd time he got really injured and the stunt double finished the scene. Most everyone tried it except me and I regret not trying it. I was worried I would not be able to hold on and land in the water.
This is me swinging on a rope we found on another beach. So wished I would have faced my fears.
Most locals don't even know this spot exists on the island of Kauai. It is a protected land and you can only boat to get to it. We were gated off from going down. This cove is what they used for Neverland in the movie "Hook". This is also where Harrison Ford and Anne Heche ate some animal they found on the moveie "6 Days, Seven Nights".
Barbed wire behind us. There are 2 keepers who live and take care of the property. One most always be there at all times.
The view coming back down from our ATV tour.
We took this picture while the 2 riders on 4 wheelers almost went off a cliff. The husband hit the wrong pedal and rammed his wife from behind. It was kind of scary to think about.
On our way back we saw this porky pine.
This is a bird sanctuary on the north shore. The north shore gets a lot more rain and so it is greener and more lush. We drove up here on Thursday and ate at Bubba's burger which is a local place that many celebrities visit like, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, President Clinton, Matt Damon and many others.
Our last morning we woke up and walked to the beach by the Hyatt again and saw this seal digesting its food. Jim thought it was dead. But seals do this after they eat.
Then we did some last minute shopping for our kids and families. We went and ate at Puka Dogs which everyone said was so good! Taylor and I were not fans and I love hot dogs.
Waiting axniously for our Helicopter tour of the island.
So flattering around our waists. But it is supposed to save your life.
I was the first one to get in, and they buckled me.
I was nervous for it to take off but it wasn't bad at all.
Taylor pretending to use the barf bag. Towards the end I felt sick. Didn't have to use it though.
We were able to see many waterfalls.
The Waimea Canyon from the first day but much better to see inside a helicopter.
The Na poli coast.
Na poli coast
Hanalai Bay on the North shore. This is where Bethany Hamilton is from and the movie Soul Surfer was filmed. They refer to Hanalai Bay often in the movie.
These trees are all over the island. This area they covered the road.
We could see these canoes from the bird sanctuary. Below is us finishing canoeing where these people did. Beautiful Sunrises to remember!







.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)







.jpg)




















No comments:
Post a Comment