Friday, January 30, 2009

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed dressing!

This salad is my favorite. I know a few girls in my ward wanted it. Sorry I don't have a picture. I made it last night for a lady in my ward whose husband passed away and I forgot to get a picture. I hope she liked the salad too.

Spinach Salad
1/2 bunch fresh spinach
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1/4 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
sugared almonds
1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/2 red onion chopped fine or in rings
Mix lettuce together and refrigerate until serving. Don't add other ingredients until right before or it will get soggy. You can also do a buffet style salad so you can have some left over the next day.

Poppy seed dressing
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon pureed onion (0ptional)
1/2 tablespoon Prepared mustard(in fridge)
Mix all ingredients together (except oil) until sugar is completely dissolved. While beating on high speed drop 2-3 drops of oil into mixture. Gradually add remaining oil in a thin stream to complete emulsifcation.

Sugared almonds (I usually double the almonds).
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 ½ tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
Blend sugar and melted butter well. Coat almonds and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. When lightly browned remove from oven. Loosen nuts with a metal spatula and let them cool completely.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

This salad is the best! You made it when you had us over one night back in Texas. So good! I do have to say, I cheat when I make it and use pre-made dressing & pre-packaged toffee almond salad toppers. Thanks for sharing good recipes. I can't wait to try the black bottom cupcakes. Yum!

Leticia said...

Wow!!
Thanks for posting all of these YUMMY recipes!!!

How fun!
Can't wait to make em!!!
What a good cook!!
:)